Monday, July 25, 2005

Locked in the Nest

I chose the perfect day to go take pictures. The sun was beating down with a heat index of about 4000 degrees and little to no breeze blowing. Hours passed in this Sunday afternoon endeavor (too many hours).

The avid photographer may be thinking, "Well you just get into a zone and find one great snapshot after another." I am no avid photographer nor do I subscribe to this kind of thinking. This photo challenge (of sorts) was supposed to be about an hour or so, not the 3-4 it turned out to be.

I told my family I was going to the park to take some pictures. The park became boring. Too many ball fields, too few natural wonders (unless of course cement and steel count). I decided to trek (more so drive) across the street to my high school. There's a trail there and I thought it might be fun to walk the trail, see what's out there and take a few snapshots on the way around.

The trail became a little too creepy for me and visions of a horror film kept playing out in my mind. But, all was well, the football stadium was now calling my name.

However, I was filled with shock when I arrived at the gate and, yes...locked. I wasn't some vandal desiring to tag my name on the side of the stands, or some love sick high schooler desiring to profess my love to George in red spray paint. I just wanted to take some pictures. Then, it was like the light at the end of the tunnel...one of the gates was unlocked!

I perused the facilities and took in the scenery. (Unconcerned with the fact the man on the other side of the stadium was leaving.) The perusing lasted about 30 minutes and I began to make my way back to the open gate. Upon arrival to this "light" I realized it was actually an oncoming train. The gate was now locked. I was locked in the nest. (CHHS Eagles)

For another hour and half I treked around the stadium seeking to find a way out...I failed. The sun seemed to be getting hotter as my gum got grosser and the reality that my flip flops were not tennishoes became more apparent. I even sought a way out past the "Authorized Vehicles Only" sign. However, apparently the only vehicles that should be authorized down that path can survive a thirteen foot drop at the end. Then, as if it was a vision from the Lord...a gate without barbed wire. I scaled the fence in my American Eagle flip flops (with the Cannon Rebel safely tucked away in my camera bag and Billy Joel's "Always a Woman" playing over my MP3 player). The endeavor that began around 4:30 was now over at 7:45.

I made my way to my car then to the pool. I resisted the temptation to jump in and simply sought out the vending machine. The Diet Coke was gone before I made it out of the parking lot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the funniest things I have ever read...probably mostly because I heard the panic in your voice as you called could picture you being stuck in your little barbed wire prison. Congratulations on scaling the fence in flipflops -- that takes some talent!! (good music choice too). -Ashley

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you are never going to hear me repremanding you for listening to Billy Joel Music. Cheers to you for that!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home