Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pack Lightly

As if I couldn't be any more naturally tan, I decided to go lay by the pool today. Before leaving the apartment I wanted to make sure I was amply prepared. Having returned from this little "adventure" though I think I was preparing for an impending hostage situation. Perhaps it wasn't necessary to take two bottles of water, one would've been enough...two books were certainly not necessary (and to think I actually thought more of myself for leaving the third on my nightstand), yet again one would've been quite enough. I definitely did not need the portable DVD player with three unwatched episodes of Gimore Girls either given I also had two CD's to listen to. So, while both CD's were used, one bottle of water drunk, some pretzels and pineapple eaten I think it's safe to say I was a bit overprepared. While reading my book about terrorism and totalitarianism (interesting irony considering I was laying by a pool you have to be a member to come to) I found myself thinking, "Why can't I listen to a CD, read a book and watch a DVD all at the same time? I mean, I have all of them here with me now." This pool adventure isn't solely focused on me though. There is a lifeguard at our pool. Jodie and I have discussed that we don't particularly like the fact there is a lifeguard there. While I am aware you can drown in less than two inches of water...the deepest the pool gets is 4 ft 6 inches (yes it is printed that way). I also don't know what I think about people who sign up for a job where their sole duty is to stare at half-dressed soaking wet people...strange or do I feel sorry for them...can't decide. No one had to worry about our lifeguard making too many lingering glances in their direction though. For the majority of the time I was down there he was passing the time by SLEEPING!!!! That's right, this alleged protector was sleeping away while two children were swimming away in the pool. I would like to note, I do not believe all lifeguards are like this and I do believe lifeguards can be useful in crisis pool situations. If you have been a lifeguard, know someone who is or have ever been saved by a lifeguard do not take my comments personally...you do a noble job protecting people in the water.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Books? CDs? DVDs? Good Lord, girl, you need to get out more. The main point of going to the pool or the beach is to check out members of the opposite sex or be active (swimming, say, in case you were wondering what all the water in the pool was for). If you're really good, you can do both at the same time. The things they don't teach you at college . . . where did you go to school again?

DCT

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gasping for air...blog dying...pulse low...must survive...but...no one will post...going toward the white light

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home