Tuesday, January 03, 2006

First 100ish Days

I really shouldn't be allowed to borrow other people's books. They never seem to be returned in the same condition as originally leased, especially if I really enjoy the book. Twentysomething by Margaret Feinberg is no exception. This book has helped get me through these first 100ish days. I highly recommend it to any recent graduate or twentysomething trying to figure out where their life is headed and if they are going to make it through. God has placed me here for this specific time, I'm not pretending to know how long my stay in D.C. will last, I am making every attempt to live this experience to the fullest but ultimately want each day to glorify the one who placed me here.

The accomplishments of President Roosevelt's first 100 days in office set the standard for which every president since has been judged. It's a time to look back on what's been done to better the country. Although I have surpassed the 100 day mark of being here in D.C. I've decided to take the time anyway and share a few things I have learned in the past 100ish days I've resided in this great land.

I think it is fair to start with my expectations. While college prepares you for many things and I am forever grateful to Union, dearest Union for the education and direction I received there, I was not prepared for the internship I took on this last fall. I was confident (because this is what my professors told me) I would spend countless hours by a copy machine and in a file room somewhere. A place so desolate that in order to learn anything from my internship I would be forced to read the documents I was copying. Oh, and a room so secluded from the rest of the world that given there was a nuclear attack, there would be no need for me to go to a fall-out shelter, I would be completely protected by the walls of that copy/file room. Not so in the Advance office. As many of you know, my first day on the job took me out to meet the Secretary (I will not rehash the day, you can read it for yourself on an earlier blog entry). The internship far exceeded my expectations. I'm glad that although I have dreams of my own, God's dreams for us are much bigger than I could ever imagine possible and He's the one holding my future. I am thankful for where He's taken me but I'm even more thankful for where He hasn't.

The next thing I've found to ring true (not sure how anything "rings true" but I'm keeping it there) in these past 100ish days is you can be living out your dream and still find there are days when you are unhappy. Honestly, I love this place and I love the opportunities I have to serve this country and in this administration, but there are some days that seem just will not end. Days when I miss the fights in the cafeteria over whether the correct name for Coburn's menu selection is "corn nuggets" or "corn fritters" (decided for yourself, but you're wrong if you choose corn fritters), stake-outs in the complex (if you were involved you know what they are), frantic calls from Jones 3 claiming to have "a beast" in there room that turned out to be a spricket (oh, don't question their existence, they are real) and let's not forget the refrigerator door incident (blasted Jessica Stone), laser tag in the complex, guard raids (yes, I was an RA but I still thought they were fun), late-night talks in Jodie's room where we scoped out the action at the dumpster (FYI, a dumpster will never be romantic), studying in the library which consisted of 25 percent actual studying and 75 percent hanging out with friends in the library and figuring out ways to keep from studying. I miss the countless dinners at Chili's and Don Pancho's with all of you whose company was enjoyed (for the ones whose company was not enjoyed, sorry you don't make the list), the harassment from the RA team, foosball (I still hold myself and my team as champions), the look on Heather's face when Jodie and I set off the fog machine while she was in the shower, doing maps with Kari (you can totally map out the whole world in one night), smuggling Brennan's take-out to a movie and countless other experiences with fellow Unionites.

I miss my family. No matter how much I try, I just can't get take-out that tastes like mom's home cooking. There are also the corny jokes that only my dad says, or repeats. The words of wisdom from my grandfather that are disguised as nuggets of confusion....Okay so maybe they are nuggets of confusion. The look on my nephews face when he looks up at you and just smiles. Tatiana (I know you were waiting for her to be mentioned) running up to me and giving me a hug, or asking if I am her friend and then when I repeat the question she responds, "No, I'm grandma's friend"...and then asks if we can call Jodie or if Jodie's coming over. I miss knowing where I'm going when I get in the car. Coffee with Jamie, eating Chili's with friends at home (not to mention all the lunches at T&L) and Catch Phrase.

I love the memories I've made and am excited about today, tomorrow and the future God has for me. Even the hardest day brings new blessings and memories I never dreamed would be mine. I'm glad it's D.C. that God has placed me, but even if it was Henry, South Dakota (not really asking God to send me there) I am convinced I don't want to be anywhere God hasn't directed me. I'm thankful for each day I have here, for every friend I have both here and abroad, but more importantly for the fact that He continues to bless, direct and use me in spite of my short comings. I don't really know what I expected to achieve through this post (you're probably wondering if it would ever end), but I do hope that each of you can look at your life and see God continuing the good work He began in you. I hope you also return borrowed books in good condition.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, I miss you soo much!!! You are such a good writer and your posts are great! I'm going to call when things calm down a bit around here

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too. :)

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not calling because the closest reference to my being missed was through the mentioning of my offspring. Regardless, I will say I enjoyed this post and consider it a true confession from the heart. Love you.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home