Sunday, October 16, 2005

Triads

A Note from the author: For those of you still holding onto bitterness toward CLU Class, get over it. The class didn't count against your GPA, Mrs. Hopper and Mrs. Tignor are nice people and besides Susan Hopper (at some point) was reading my blog. If you can't get over your anger and still find satisfaction knowing you burned your CLU book, you probably should stop reading now.

Triads...for those of you who attend(ed) Union the term triad is familiar. It takes you back to College Life at Union (CLU). It's the half-semester introductory course required by the university where the only determining factor of passing or failing is if you show up for class everyday or not. Triads were a part of this "journey" your "guides" (Mrs. Hopper and Mrs. Tignor) took you through. Simply stated, you got into a group of three and expressed what your greatest accomplishment was up to that point, we could also find examples in our book to look over from CEO's and Executives. My group (yes I'm naming myself the ruler of the triad) basically laughed and mocked each other's accomplishments (this continues to the present day), but we didn't stop there we also mocked those found in our books as well. (I know this seems heartless, and I have been called Dream Crusher before, but the triad is still strong, CLU did not break us.)

One man, that still comes up in conversation, formed his own tribe, named himself chief, fought a four year war and came out victorious. Well, for me last weekend was much like this executive's accomplishment.

I was...Cinderella, Spiderman, a dog, a cat, a superhero throwing fire on the bad guys, a Power Ranger, a monster, a bad guy, an airplane, a cheetah Girl (rescuing the patrons of K-Mart) and Daisy Duck. I barked, meowed, made strange shooting and flying noises with my mouth and had the police called on me. It was rather eventful to say the least. It also involved a very cute three year old, my niece. My parents brought my furniture along with a shameful amount of personal items I've accumulated over my 22 years of life up from Georgia last weekend, and they surprised Jodie and me by bringing along Tatiana, my niece.

When they left and I was thinking about the weekend, I thought about my triad...I know we've all established that I'm a dork....but I wondered if one day Tatiana would be in a cynical triad sharing her greatest accomplishment of saving the world from bad guys, defying gravity and scaling sides of buildings while maintaining the class and beauty of Cinderella. I think though, there will be cause for medication if at 18 she's still shooting people with fire....for the time being, I'm willing to be on either side of the law for her little adventures.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

And I quote Paul on Saturday afternoon (after trying to remember what his 'personality was' when taking the personality test in the 'triad' class freshman year ... "Heather - what was the name of that stupid class?? You know ... the one we all hated ..."

9:48 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

P.S. > the peeps in my triad turned out to be total l-o-s-e-r-s ... :)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home