Sunday, October 16, 2005

A Day with the Executive Branch

When I accepted an internship in the big D to the C (I know I'm ghetto) I didn't really expect much. I'll be honest, my professors at Union made it a point to instill a lack of expectations in us in regard to internships. I moved up here thinking this was an opportunity of a lifetime (and it is) but that I would simply spend most of my days standing over a copy machine with short breaks for filing, getting people coffee and runs to pick up lunch (if I was lucky). Well, for the third time in my life, I was wrong (alright so there is a possibility that I've been wrong a few more times, but it's my blog I can say what I want...the comment section is for you). Wednesday proved to stray FAR from these original expectations.

As I rode into work on the Metro I thought about what I was doing this time last year, ahh yes, Senior Seminar. I then thanked God I am not doing that now, again. There was excitement in the air and with every drink of creamer, I mean coffee, I could feel the excitement growing. I already knew this was going to be a fun day, a day I'd thought about for a long time. Yes, this day was going to be the first day I would get to hear the President speak in person. The President was giving a speech to his appointees and I got a hold of tickets (yes this is plural, Jodie went as well)!

The speech was amazing, and I'm not bias at all. Andy Card (the Chief of Staff) introduced him and the President gave an impromptu speech for 45 minutes (without notes, a teleprompter or the involvement of his speechwriters). It was great. He began by welcoming us. He said, "Some of you are here because I've appointed you and placed you into positions to serve this country. Others of you are here because I'm here." Jodie and I looked at each other knowing we both had a little bit of her granny in us...the part that chases famous people around attempting to see them anytime we can. Next year though I hope to be able to walk out of my office, past the certificate on the wall stating "Rebekah Johnson Political Appointee by President George W. Bush" and into the assembly. I don't anticipate not having at least one friend who's snuck in under the radar and is there because he's there.

Wednesday morning I thought that was where my adventure that day would end. Wrong again (yeah, yeah there's a fourth time for everything...I think). Jodie left to catch the Metro and I went back to the office. Israel Hernandez, a co-worker, was being sworn into another position. There was a lot of security around and I remembered what Dr. Evans (a Political Science prof. at UU) told me one time, if you see something like that, something big is about to happen so walk to where it appears the front is and look as if you are on a mission (this is a bit of a Becky paraphrase). That's exactly what I did. I went to the DOC auditorium and found a seat. Upon sitting down I found out that Andy Card was also going to make an appearance at this event along with (eat your heart out Brennan) the FIRST LADY!!!

She spoke briefly and held the Bible Israel took his oath on. Afterward there was a reception where I hoped to meet Mrs. Bush, she would realize she liked me which would lead to numerous dinner invitations to the White House, Camp David and the Ranch. However, (I'm sure this is what happened) something came up and Mrs. Bush was unable to stay for the reception. But, I'm confident there will be another time and her leaving did not weaken my excitement in the least.

You know, everyday is a reminder that God's plans are always greater than our own!

I'll try to make my posts for frequent, but until next time we can pretend I'm hobnobbing with the West Wing crew (Martin Sheen is nowhere to be found)!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Becky Johnson!!

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, I totally know the First Lady, so if you want, I can hook you up. (That is, I know her if you count shaking her hand and grinning stupidly while at some Republican fundraiser in Memphis.) Oh well. :)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad to see that the union university political science department has left such an impact on you! they need to get you in the scholarship video.

i love you, dude!!

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home